Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE stack washer model GTUP240EM5WW. It will fill,

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE stack washer model GTUP240EM5WW. It will fill, wash, drain,spin but when it gets to the rinse cycle it only fills about an inch and then drains. It fills again about an inch and drains again. Then it advances to Spin cycle and spins. I ran it thru diagnostics and checked fill valves, agitate, spin, etc. Everything seems to work. But when you start the cycle it doesn't rinse. Tried replacing main board. Same thing.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Not sure of the age. Model is GTUP240EM5WW.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

The washer fills by air pressure created in a small hose from the tub to the water pressure switch (fill switch ) Remove the front panel from the washer . Locate the small vinyl hose , left of center that attaches to a "dome " At the bottom of the dome is a removable cap , so you can clean out debris which will affect the fill process. Pry down with a small scrw driver on the two springy metal clips and remove the cap and clean out the dome, clean the cap and its O-ring , re install and see if it fills correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This model doesn't have a removable cap on the dome. I can remove the hose from the dome or from the pressure switch and
blow thru the dome OK. No restriction there. Like I said it will fill OK on the beginning of the cycle but when it gets to rinse it only
fills about an inch and then drains out. Then it does it again, fills about an inch and drains. Then it goes into spin and finishes the cycle. I replaced the board and it does the same thing. I checked the dc voltage on the board to the pressure switch and
the readings were not what the service manual said. On initial fill it said it should increase from 1.2 vdc on empty to 3.6 vdc
when full. I measure only 2.6 vdc when full. I could replace the pressure switch but I don't know why it would fill every time
on initial fill OK and only about an inch every time on Rinse. Any ideas?

Did it EVER fill completely on the rinse ? I'm asking because with all the DOE regulations on water usage that is one way manufacturers are complying , by either only spraying the clothes while first spinning or like yours is doing.

Or if it has a setting that says " when using rinse aid " or something similar it should fill more on rinse cycle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Today I replaced the pressure switch and it fills fine now on Rinse! I don't know why it was filling OK on Initial fill and
only filling about an inch on rinse. But the new pressure switch did the trick!
Being that you missed the correct diagnosis, do I get a refund?
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician