Our dryer won't start. Every time you press the start button…

Our dryer won't start...

Our dryer won't start. Every time you press the start button nothing happens.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

2008 Maytag MED5600TQ it has never given us issues prior to this.
... Read full answer

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware of at this poin

3/1/2017
Tyler Z., Home Appliance Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

okay

If nothing happens when you press the start button, open the door and push on the door switch to make sure the door switch still clicks when you push it. If the switch doesn't click then replace the switch. If it does click then like you have a bad thermal fuse on the back of the dryer. Below is a link to the fuse and a video that shows you how to test the fuse if you have a multimeter to confirm it's bad and needs replacing.

CLICK HERE for fuse

CLICK HERE for video

If the fuse is bad, it typically means that your vent through your house is beginning to get restricting and you'll want to clean out the vent or un-kink the hose behind the dryer if the vent hose is kinked.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Home Appliance Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My Maytag Maxima dryer won't start when I push the start
My Maytag Maxima dryer won't start when I push the start button. … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
My Maytag dishwasher is less than 3 years old. The first
My Maytag dishwasher is less than 3 years old. The first problem I encountered was around 6 months ago, getting the machine to start. I would press the start button multiple times with no results. Wai… read more
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
I have a MayTag MSD2576vem00 refrigerator. The auger starts
I have a MayTag MSD2576vem00 refrigerator. The auger starts and stops every few minutes crushing the ice in the bucket and dispensing it. Pressing the cube button does nothing. I've disconnected the d… read more
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Stop searching for answers—
We keep getting an error message on our Maytag Neptune dryer:
We keep getting an error message on our Maytag Neptune dryer: "A power failure occurred during the current cycle." However, no power failure has occurred. The instructions say "Press Start/Pause to re… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
whirpool dryer 2 years old use daily went this afternoon
whirpool dryer 2 years old use daily went this afternoon to use it used it prev during day it started then stopped smelled something like a burnt something tries to start but then stops i unplugged it… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a maytag neptune electric dryer purchased and put into
I have a maytag neptune electric dryer purchased and put into service in 2002. Never given me any trouble. Just now my wife was drying a bath rug and opened the door to find rug had become "stuck" in … read more
Appliance Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Why wont our Maytag 5000 dryer start? only five months
Why won't our Maytag 5000 dryer start? only five months old, power is on, door is closed, all setting lights are on BUT when we press the start button nothing happens ecept for a slight'click' or 'tin… read more
Owner,
i have a maytag quiet series 300 dishwasher that stops and
i have a maytag quiet series 300 dishwasher that stops and starts in mid cycle. the lights will start flashing and the machine will start over again. this happens every 10-15 seconds and goes on endle… read more
Michael
Michael
Appliance Repair Technician,
My dryer wont start. I lost my guide and don"t know the meaning
My dryer won't start. I lost my guide and don"t know the meaning of the menu items. It started before and won"t start now. Is there a way to empty the lint filter. I clean out the screen but some gets… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
We have a Maytag dryer, Neptune model MD5500, that we purchased
We have a Maytag dryer, Neptune model MD5500, that we purchased probably 8 years ago. It has never given us any problems but this morning it would not start. A number, 8.8. 35, flashes on and off in t… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Maytag Atlantis Gas Dryer. Wont start in intellidry modes.
Maytag Atlantis Gas Dryer. Won't start in intellidry modes. Works fine in fixed time mode.… read more
Chas
Chas
Master Appliance Repair Technician,
Just moved into our condo and went to use our Maytag Bravo
Just moved into our condo and went to use our Maytag Bravo 300 top-load washer for the first time today - prior owners left Maytag Washer and Dryer. I put my clothes in, put the detergent in, and cann… read more
Chas
Chas
Master Appliance Repair Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Our electric dryer just stopped running. It is a semi-new Maytag.
Our electric dryer just stopped running. It is a semi-new Maytag. It has given us no problems. It is still getting power since the timer still works. The circuit breaker did not trip. The door has bee… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Our Maytag dryer had problem last week in that it just stopped.
Our Maytag dryer had problem last week in that it just stopped. Pressing the start button did not start the unit. It not an electrical problem. Letting the unit sit for 20-30 minutes and it started to… read more
Chas
Chas
Master Appliance Repair Technician,
I own a whirlpool duet dryer Model 4WED9200SQ1. Recently the
I own a whirlpool duet dryer Model 4WED9200SQ1. Recently the dryer stopped working. When the power button is pushed it displays the time and when you try to start the dryer there is a click but the dr… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
My Maytag dryer Model MD7500 wont start every time...message
My Maytag dryer Model MD7500 won't start every time...message "power failure occured during cycle press start/off to restart...takes several times to restart… read more
Owner,
I have a Maytag Dryer model MDE5500AYW. It just started chirping.
I have a Maytag Dryer model MDE5500AYW. It just started chirping. Random, every 3 or 4 seconds. It does not matter whether it is drying or off. It does not matter if it is on sensor dry or time dry. I… read more
esequiel walker
esequiel walker
Appliance technician,
i spoke with you a few days ago about a maytag dryer and you
i spoke with you a few days ago about a maytag dryer and you recomended the relay i replaced it and it is doing the same thing. all lights work and it just clicks when you try to start it… read more
I.can
I.can
Engineer,