Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a viking VGSC with 12" griddle. The griddle will only…

I have a viking...

I have a viking VGSC with 12" griddle. The griddle will only turn on when the knob is all the way to 400 degrees, and then it turns off before it heats up

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The VGSC is the model #

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has a copper thermocouple connected to a copper wire that slides under the griddle

2/16/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately this is a common issue with Viking griddles over time. This issue means that your thermostat with the thermocouple connected to it has gone bad and needs to be replaced. This is the part that your knob itself attaches to which you turn when you twist the knob. Now if you order a new one, you can order one at AllVikingParts.com if you give them your full model number. The key when replacing the part is to route the thermo couple so that it does NOT touch the flame at all. When the griddle is seated down, if the flame touches the copper wire this thermostat will fail much quicker than intended so make sure it runs directly down the center of the burner into the channel below the griddle where it monitors temperature.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are saying the thermostat has gone bad, or the thermocouple? Where is the thermostat located?

It's all one part. That thermocouple is attached to the thermostat which is the part that your knob attaches to on the front of the control panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not find it on their website under the griddle section. They are unable to help me because the serial # is worn off. Any idea what group this item would be under?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have found it. I will give it a try. Thank you.
No problem. Please remember to rate me before you leave
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tyler, I finished the repair today, and you were correct, it was that part. I gave 4 stars because after you pointed me in the right direction, I found that you could do a resistance test on the thermostat to verify that it was bad, and I felt like it would have been helpful of you to mention that there was a very simple test to do on the part to verify it was the culprit before spending over $150 on the replacement part. Thank you for your help, Jon

Alright well I'm glad I could help you. I understand you would have liked to do a test on the thermostat, that being said as a technician I wouldn't have even thought about doing such a test because nothing else can cause the problem so there was no need to test given the possibilities.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, after heating it a few times to varying degrees of heat to re-season the cast iron, I went to actually use it the morning and it again would not turn on until the knob was at about 350, I doubt it will fully heat but I will wait and see. The copper wire is as far away from the flames as possible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after working 3 times, I am now back to square 1

The new thermostat has been ruined again. Somehow that wire isn't routed properly and the flame is touching it is if was ruined after 3 times. Hopefully you can return the thermostat and get a new one, but it's not being routed properly if it failed so quickly again.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc