Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My husband says the "element" in our water heater needs to

My husband says the "element"...
My husband says the "element" in our water heater needs to be replaced because if the washer is going the shower is cold. It's an old water heater. He never does it so I'm done waiting and want to get it faxed. Can you help please?
Answered in 1 day by:
2/5/2017
Rico_Soma
Rico_Soma, Customer Service

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A bad element is only 1 (not very likely) possibility. More likely is a broken dip tube. The dip tube carries the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. If it breaks the incoming cold mixes with the hot water at the top of the tank cooling it off. The dip tube can be replaced but most of the time it's a job for a plumber.

Ok. So how much does a new 40 gallon water heater cost?

Depends on where you live if you want installed cost. Here in the Boston area a 50 gallon electric (we never use a 40 since it's smaller and virtually the same price as a 50) replacement runs ~$800 to $1000. The water heater itself is ~$400.

How much to fix it? Thank you.

It depends on what the problem is. Repair costs could run as little as $150 to as much as $300. I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Rico_Soma
Rico_Soma, Customer Service
Rico_Soma
Rico_Soma
Rico_Soma, Customer Service