Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a eterna series GE refridgerator. if the defrost

Customer Question

i have a eterna series GE refridgerator. if the defrost heater goes out do I need to replace control board also?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: im gonna guess 2005. model #esl25xgrebs. was here when we purchased home
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we had a technician come out and said it was the defrost heater and control board just by opening freezer. just trying to get second opinion before we call someone
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

You definitely shouldn't need to replace the control board if the heater goes bad---in fact I have never had to do so on a GE refrigerator. There are usually only 2 parts that affect the defrost function and that's the defrost heater and the defrost sensor clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils (1" white plastic bullet). You can check the heater for continuity and if that checks good you can test the white plastic bullet for resistance. The resistance should be 16.3 KΩ's in ice water. Replace whatever one doesn't read properly. If both read properly, then unfortunately you'd need a new control board---but again you shouldn't need more than 1 part.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?