Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

What can I do with my Maytag refrigerator? The freezer

Customer Question

What can I do with my Maytag refrigerator? The freezer stopped cooling. The model # is MTB1956AE
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maybe 12 Y/O. It is a Maytag Dependable Freshness Refrigerator Model MTB1956AE.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Is it just the freezer that is not cooling or fridge as well?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just freezer
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 9 months ago.

Ok so my next question is is the compressor in the back running? Its a black pot looking thing. Also there are two fans that should be running. One that is inside of the freezer and the other that is next to the compressor to cool it down.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have access to the unit right now, so I don't know. BUT, I would be satisfied if you could only give the possible scenarios for the freezer stopping working and what can be done about each instance. I wouldn't think of more than 2 or 3. The lower part is still working.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 9 months ago.

more than likely either the condenser coils are frozen. The evaporator fan has quit working or even possibly that your compressor is low on charge or has a leak and needs to be recharged which will have to be handled by a repair person and can be very pricey

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks