Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag electric dryer, which has stopped working,

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: i have a maytag electric dryer, which has stopped working
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: around 10 years or so PYE2200AYW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes it hums but doesn't start
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes I tried pushing the door button and then trying rolling the drum but didn't help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

If you hear it hum, then the motor is getting power which means that your door switch and fuses and timer are all good. Unfortunately this means your motor has either failed or the belt is broken. You'll need to take the dryer apart to check and see if the belt is disconnected or broken. If the belt checks good, your motor would need to be replaced.

To take the dryer apart, you'll need to use a putty knife between the top panel and the front panel in the seam. There are 2 hidden metal spring clips about 5 inches from the right and left sides. Push back on these hidden spring clips and that releases the top panel. The top panel will then hinge up and backwards. Now you can remove the screws coming in from the back of the front panel. The front panel will then pull off and you can check the belt.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.