ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

My GE XL44 gas stove is tripping the breaker. If I have it

My GE XL44 gas stove is tripping the breaker. If I have it plugged in and flip the breaker to on, the breaker makes a surging sound and will not close. The gas burners work on the stove top have gas flowing so that they can be ignited with a match, but no gas flow to the oven or the broiler. Is there a way to trouble shoot the oven wiring. About five years ago I replaced the glow igniter.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is 20 years old and is a JGBP26
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't plug in the appliance, or it trips the breaker. I replaced the igniter about 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.
Thanks

Is the breaker tripping immediately or do you have to try to start the oven or burners before it trips?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It breaks immediately. It will not even go over to the closed state. The rest of the circuits on that line are fine/.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When trying to close the breaker it makes a noise, and has even smoked a little. So I pulled the plug on the stove.

Just to make sure, the breaker will not trip if the oven is unplugged, correct?

If the oven is the problem, the only way to figure out the trouble short of stumbling across the problem is to remove the back to access the controls and start to systematically unplug components and resetting the breaker. Usually you will see a spark on a bad part, unless there is a wire welded to the oven causing the short. Start at the power lead going into the range . If the breaker trips like you said, it should be a wire. Look them all over carefully.

Then start unplugging things one at a time. Don"t get wild and unplug more things than you can keep track of to reassemble.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The breaker will not trip with the stove unplugged.What part of the back of the stove is to be removed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I unplgged the power cord from the stove. Then I plugged the stove back into the wall socket and closed the breaker. It did not trip. So, it's not the power cord...

Ok, then the next thing to do would be to start operating the range one thing at a time, on then off until the breaker trip as again. At that point you will know where to look for the short circuit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't operate the range, because once I plug the power supply into the stove it trips the breaker.What do I unscrew to open the back?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are all of the guts and circuits accessible from the control board?

Give me a few minutes to check

You access the clock panel by removing the two little screws located under the bottom edge of the console on each lower corner. Once you get the screws out the console comes forward from the bottom and pivots up like the hood on a car.

Have you been able to isolate the problem that was tripping the breaker?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I haven't been able to isolate the problem because I don't know how to access the the various circuits. The stove cannot be plugged in. It trips the breaker. IF, I unplug the end of the power cord that goes into the stove, I can plug in the power cord. That tells me the short is not in the power cord. However, once I plug the live power cord into the stove, it trips the breaker.How do I get access to the other parts of the stove to check wires and circuits for a burned-out piece? Is there a diagram for removing some panel that gives me access to the electronic parts of the gas stove. I don't know where to start checking.Please help.

Sorry, as you type it, I thought the range did not trip the breaker after you plugged it back in, so you are back to what I said before. You need to isolate the issue by unplugging components as I explained before.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know how or where to unplug the components. That's what I'm asking.What do I open, what panel or door, to get at the parts I need to unplug? Is there a circuit board that has all the circuits in one place where I can unplug everything and then start plugging them in one at a time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the exact same answer you sent the last time at 5:33.Where on the stove do I unplug components?I don't know how or where to unplug the components. That's what I'm asking.What do I open, what panel or door, to get at the parts I need to unplug? Is there a circuit board that has all the circuits in one place where I can unplug everything and then start plugging them in one at a time?

Thats why I thought a phone call might be a better option. Then I could tell you what to do.

I did tell you previously how to access the control behind the clock. This is a step by step process. You remove one plug and reset the breaker, if it trips , you put the plug or wire back into place and go on to the next one. Sooner or later you will find that the breaker stays on and that is where your problem is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did not understand what you were writing about. But I have since been researvhing on the web and found this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH_p5WByU88Is this the control board you are speaking of? At about 1:00 in the youtube video, the guy starts pulling plugs out of the control board. Is this what you are talking about?

It is not your range, but the procedure is the same. Yours will look different.

I said that previously, but typing sometimes is confusing.

Quote from Me previously :

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I removed the two little screws on the front bottom, and I couldn't move the console. Then I also removed the two little screws on the lower outside of the console, and I couldn't lift the console up. There are two more long srews on the top outside of the console. Do I need to remove these too?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had to remove the top two screws. I got the console open. I'll start testing the plugs, as you suggested.

ok good luck

If there is anything else I can help you with today or just an additional question about your issue, just let me know.

I thought I would add, that many people think the deposit payment they placed at the sign-up is sent to me after I answer your questions. It is not. It is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then Just Answer, credits me for the time working with you.
Answering your questions is how I make my living and "No rating" = No compensation for my time.
I am sure you appreciate my efforts on your behalf,and all I ask it that you take a few moments to "Accept" my answer and rate my efforts with 3-5 Stars on your screen, so I can close your question and proceed to help others that are waiting.
Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required
Thank you so very much again for allowing me to help you out today!
Don

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Don,I found the short in the thermostat controller. On the schematics that came with the oven, the short appears to be at lines 6 and 7. Is there a way I can tell if it is the controller or some circuit in the oven?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found the replacement part. It comes with the thermostat controller and the thermostat. It costs $163.Is that replacement difficult for newbies?Also, I replaced the glow igniter a few years ago. Is my range just starting to age, and are these repairs going ti be more frequent?

No, usually replacing the clock is a fairly simple job. Normally four screws hold it in and you just swap out the wires. If you have an plastic overlay for the buttons, you can take a pocket knife and slowly peel it off the old clock and stick back on the new one.

The igniter usually last for 5-7 yrs with normal usage. Clocks not very often,

_______________________________

I am sure you appreciate my efforts on your behalf,and all I ask it that you take a few moments to "Accept" my answer and rate my efforts with 3-5 Stars on your screen for

JA before you leave today. You can still come back anytime for a follow up question if you still need help.

Thanks

Don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually I need to replace the thermostat. I've attached pictures of the controller in the stove, the schematic, and a replacement part I found online. The short is on wires 6 and 7 (light blue and dark blue). When those are unplugged, I can have the stove plugged into the electrical source. I found the replacement thermostat and have attached a picture.Is this a tough replacement to make. The replacement thermostat costs $169. If I buy it and must hire a repairman, the costs start adding up.Also, I don't see where I "Accept" your answer on the dialog page.

OK , I see you have just a mechanical thermostat. I thought you were referring to a electronic thermostat.

You just have two mounting screws to deal with and then you will have to route the capillary tube to the inside of the oven and attach it to the little hanger(s) on the back of the oven wall.

Hopefully the terminals are numbered on the new one. Then just swap the wires one by one from the old to the new.

There should be something on your screen that has the accept button. I

I cant see what your screen looks like.

Did you want to rate my help as positive?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I'll try to remove the thermostat tonight. If that goes well I'll order the replacement tomorrow.

OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the thermostat, and everything looked good. I had all the wires connected and power was on. Then I turned the knob on the temperature dial and the breaker tripped. I unplugged the two leads out of the top of the controller, and then plugged the stove back in and the power stays on.I feel like I am back at zero.

There must be a difference in the wiring on the new t-stat or you have mis-wired something on the new part.

Send me a pic of the of the wires the way you put them on the new one.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm trying to upload the pictures, but it won't open the window.Have you closed the session, or otherwise made a change?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure what's going on with the website, but now I can upload the pictures.The wiring looks the same to me, except that the plugs come out to the front, instead of to the side like the old thermostat.When I plug the wapp plug into the socket with this arrangement it blows the breaker.If you can see something wrong, I'd love to have your input. I'm about to get a new stove.Thanks for your help.

You 're back!

I need a photo with the wires attached to the new t-stat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, I thought I had attached it.

It all looks the same.

If you unplug the yellow wire does the breaker trip?

Do you have a wiring diagram that shows a wider view?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Don,Here is a pic of the larger circuit diagram and the wiring. The yellow wire is unplugged and goes into the light and then farther.

If you unplug the yellow wire and the breaker doesn't trip, you have a problem downstream of the thermostat. The diagram is cut off on your photo. If you can take a wider shot that brings in the whole thing. Also, you should have another diagram that shows another view of the wiring. You should have that on the same page. It is easier to read.

Also, are you waiting for an email to notify you of my responses? If so, if you stay in the chat, it may work faster.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in the chat. Here are pictures of both sides of the circuit diagrams.

got it let me look it over

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fine. I'm happy to hear when you have some ideas.Thanks

does the breaker trip is youremove the yellow wire off the t-stat ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, it does not trip when that yellow one is unplugged, and everything else is plugged in.

ok, then you need to go down by the oven valve behind the drawer and unplug the bake igniter and see if the breaker trips. It will have the yellow wires going to it. Hopefully there is a plug on it. If you have replaced it before, you may have wire nuts. If so, unplug the range and remove the wire nuts and separate the wire and test it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. I'll try that, and then let you know.

ok

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I unplgged a lead from the bake igniter and the breaker did not trip. However, now the light showing that the oven is on without the oven being on.

The indicator lamp may come on if the thermostat is set to heat. If the lamp comes on with the oven set to off, you may have a problem with the new thermostat. A short circuit such as what you had with the breaker tripping, can burn the contacts in the new thermostat and keep it on even though it should be off. For now you need to check the igniter to see if it is broken causing the short circuit. The oven igniter should glow.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I check the igniter if the unit trips?

If the circuit trips with the igniter plugged in, it is shorted out and you need to replace it. You can look at it and you may see a crack or someplace that is arced, but it is easier just to replace it.

Does the lamp go out when you turn the oven to off?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, the lamp does not go off with the oven off.

You may have shorted out your new t-stat. But I would get the igniter and at least make sure the oven lights. Then you can go back the t-stat. Maybe your old one still works.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. Thanks, I'll try that.Thanks for working so late. I'll be back...

nite