Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Why can't I get my GE refrigerator to get cold, even after

Customer Question

Why can't I get my GE refrigerator to get cold, even after setting at the coldest setting?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

If it is not getting cold at all check and make sure the compressor and fans are running, if they all are the unit is low on freon. If not you need to track down why a fan or compressor is not running on the unit. That could be from a bad thermostat or control or a bad fan or compressor itself.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5 star response,all fans are running,freezer chilling but refrigerator section is not

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control.