Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE Profile microwave works except 1-0 minutes (plus extra 30

Customer Question

GE Profile microwave works except 1-0 minutes (plus extra 30 seconds or minute) pads issue no heat.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We assume it's about 11 years old (we took over this apartment a year ago).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We cannot find the model#. The unit is 26" by 12", the window 15" by 5-1/2"
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We are puzzled that only the reheat part of the oven is giving us trouble.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

To be clear, are you saying the microwave isn't heating at all and some of the buttons won't respond either?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ai used it for cooking yesterday whereas the reheat buttons gave off no heat.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. What the microwave did yesterday doesn't help me understand what is going on with the microwave now. So I'll ask you again---is it heating at all on any setting today? Are there some buttons that don't respond when you push them like they don't beep or change the display or do anything? etc....

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the "cook" button is pressed, the temperature punched in, the oven preheats, i.e. heats up.
The express buttons however make the convection oven noises, but the oven does not heat up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

OK perfect. So again, to be clear---anything that uses the microwave seems to work but if you use the convection baking functions the microwave does not heat? And can I get a model number located on a sticker just inside the door way?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The model# ***** ***** 1095SB002 - Serial # LG900320B - June 2004
I'm not sure what you mean with "convection baking". I'm talking about the express buttons 1 through 5 and the "add 30 seconds" or one minute buttons.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

OK so again, I'm still trying to clarify what you are saying. You said "convection oven noises" but this isn't even a convection oven based on your model number you just gave me.

That being said, I think I know what you're trying to say now. You are saying that if you type in a time to heat, the oven works normally. But if you press Express 1-5 or "add 30 seconds" the microwave looks and sounds like it's running but it just doesn't heat? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

OK so if you can program a time for 95 seconds and it works, but it won't work when pressing the add 30 second button, that uses the same magnetron to heat the food. Nothing changes other than the program in the board on how to run the microwave so unfortunately it sounds like the logic in your main control board isn't working properly. You can try to unplug the microwave for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work, the control board would need to be replaced to use those features again. The part number for the board is WB27X10575 and it costs about $250 I'm sorry to say. In my opinion, it might be something to just live with due to the cost of repairing the issue. You can still enter the amount of time you want it to heat, but the short cuts just won't work properly and heat like they should.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tyler - I got very satisfactory service from you.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

No problem and I'm very sorry about the bad new. I apologize about the circumstances but I wish you a Happy New Year as well!