Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am working on a Kitchen Aid 18'' ice machine that only

Customer Question

I am working on a Kitchen Aid 18'' ice machine that only stays in the freezing mode for 10 or 12 minutes and harvests thin ice. The board and evap thermistor have already been replaced. Can you help?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is a 2007 kuic18nntso
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, we are a service company familiar with this unit.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

There is a sensor mounted to the bottom of the chill plate called the "evaporator thermistor). This sensor has a wire connection that runs all the way up to the upper front right corner of the icemaker cabinet. Open the door and remove the upper front cover so you can see the 2 wire plugs that go into the upper right hand corner. Unplug the wire connection that goes to the back of the icemaker under the chill plate. This will cause the icemaker to default to a 30 minute cycle. It sounds like this sensor is just failing so you can either leave this sensor unplugged, or you can replace the sensor. The board is designed to default to a 30 minute cycle instead of optimizing the cycle which can lower it to 25 minutes or so if everything is working properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have already tried that. The board and thermistor have been changed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

And have you ran it without the sensor attached at all? Because if it's unplugged it should default to a 30 minute cycle. If not then regardless of whether you replace the control board or not, the control board is bad and needs to be replaced again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It did it with original board and replacement board. Yes we have run it with the sensor disconnected.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Well again, only the control board can short cycle the icemaker if the evaporator sensor is disconnected so my advice would be to replace the control board if it doesn't run a 30 minutes cycle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I thought you might have some new insight on the problem. I am a career tech too and already know what you're telling me to do but thanks anyway. Have a good day.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

good luck.