Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag refrigirator keeps icing up, refrig is a 2010 I

Customer Question

maytag refrigirator keeps icing up
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: refrig is a 2010 I believe, Model# *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've had to deice it a couple of times
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

Now if both the defrost thermostat and the heater DO have continuity (which is the most likely case on this model), that means that your defrost control board mounted in the control panel in the ceiling of the refrigerator section has failed and needs to be replaced. Below is a link to all 3 parts. Just order and replace the 1 that you need.

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

CLICK HERE for defrost heater

CLICK HERE for defrost control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.