Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an older Maytag washing machine that has been just

Customer Question

I have an older Maytag washing machine that has been just super. It is a Maytag Model A-490, Serial No. 549648. Last week while we were washing a blanket in the washer, it stopped on its own during the rinse cycle, but before the final spin cycle. I re-set it to the rinse cycle and it went back on.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maytag Model A-490. We have had it about 15 years and it was used when we purchased it. As I was writing it stopped during the rinse cycle on its own and didn't complete the rinse cycle--it didn't drain all of the water out. I re-started it on the rinse cycle, and it ran more water in. Then it stopped. Now it will not go back on and it will not drain the water out. Do you think that is a serious problem or something like a plugged drainage system or a blown fuse?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's something easy. Otherwise, we have a used appliance dealer we would probably take it to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

If you raise and lower the lid, do you hear the lid switch clicking?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. The machine is entirely dead.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Can you remove the two inner Phillips screws from the top of the timer console and take that cover off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

With the timer console open, you will have full access to the lid switch, number 17 in the diagram at the link below. With the lid down, does it push the white switch plunger in?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lid switch assembly is not attached to the console, but is attached to the middle of the top of the washer directly behind the console (looking towards the back of the washer)--is that correct? What is the "white switch plunger" and where is it located in relation to the lid switch assembly? I don't think it pushes the white switch plunger in, but without knowing what I should be looking at, I cannot say for sure. Based on some other on-line research I did, it appears that the problem with the machine is either with the lid switch assembly or with the power cord, but would more likely be the lid switch assembly, because the machine stopped in the middle of the wash cycle and would not drain, and now will not go on. Is that right?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

See the video at the link below.

CLICK HERE

I do suspect the lid switch will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is obviously not a lid switch assembly that is identical to the original lid switch assembly currently in my very old A490 Maytag washing machine. Is that a substitute part that will work on an A490 Maytag washing machine, whereas it is likely that Whirlpool/Maytag no longer manufactures an identical part to the original one on my machine?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

That model uses two different styles of lid switch, depending on the serial number. Did you see that diagram I linked you to? Is your model using the older style that is shown on the left side of that picture?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lid switch assembly in my machine is like the one in the diagram you linked to in your answer (which I had also found online last night--so I have that diagram available in a different window). It is very small simple part--a little black box (about 2 inches long and 3/4 of an inch wide) with only two wire connectors (one with two white wires feeding into one wire connector, and one with two black wires feeding into the other wire connector). It has no fuse and no little white box like the one in the photo of the part you recommended It also just sits on a thin metal plate (part number 19 in the diagram).
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The switch by itself is available below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have ordered the lid switch assembly and have had it shipped by Fedex overnight. Therefore, hopefully, it will be here tomorrow. It appears that it comes with installation instructions, and that it will be a very easy installation. However, if I need more assistance in installing the lid switch assembly, I can ask you more questions on this site--is that correct?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Great! You can post back here until you are back washing again, there is no time limit!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

You bet, thank you!