Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 3 doors whirlpool refrigerator, since Christmas I

Customer Question

I have a 3 doors whirlpool refrigerator, since Christmas I cannot open the freezer! I have called 3 local repair person, I have called Sears service center and I have tried everything, and the fridge refuses to open! Please help!!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No one has been able to do it so far!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Like what! I told you I have called 3 local people to fix it, also the Sears Service center? None of them seem to know the issues!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

The only reason the freezer door wouldn't open is if there is ice build up preventing the unit from opening or if the rails have jammed up on the freezer drawer. The problem with fixing it is the only thing you can do is remove everything in the refrigerator section and unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours or so. The ice jamming the drawer from opening needs to thaw out and it doesn't defrost quickly at all because it acts like a cooler even when unplugged. You'll have to give it at least 12 hours, then try every couple hours to see if it has thawed enough that you can open the drawer. If after 24 hours the drawer still won't open, then the rails are just jammed and there is nothing you can do but force the door open which will further damage the faulty rail, but the rail would need to be replaced anyways. That being said, it's almost always an issue with the drain line backing up behind the back panel in the freezer and leaking onto the floor inside the freezer and freezing the door shut when this occurs.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have unplugged it for more than 24 hours! I have pulled, I have mopped up water! I got 3 local repair persons to look at it. I also got a Sears Service repair person this morning and no one has been able to open it!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Either you'll need to wait longer if there is that much ice build up and it's still thawing, or you have to force the drawer open, it's that simple. There are no other options to opening the drawer. If you think there is still ice inside, give it longer to thaw. If you think there is no more ice left, then you have to yank on the door as carefully as you can to force it open because there is no other way at that point.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'd rather to talk to a live person! I have tried all you are saying!!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can I remove everything if the freezer is not opening! I have tried everything!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please do not charge any more money to my account!All the things you are telling me I have already done!