Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The whirlpool cabria platinum reads DU and will not operate.

the whirlpool cabria platinum reads DU and will not operate. there is nothing on the top of the lid. The lid freely lifts up.What should we do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: we are looking for the information
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: the machine is a Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum, Model # WT8508W1, Serial #CA43971240, purchased 2/27/15-installed 2/28/15 with 5 year warrenty
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: how to fix the DU (door not able to Unlock) alert. The door does open-the main problem is more to lock.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So you are correct that the error means that the washer thinks it can't unlock properly. This is not something you can just reset unless unplugging the washer resets the electronics. The door latch is giving a bad signal to the board thinking that the latch isn't opening up to release the lid. Whether the lid really is locked or unlocked doesn't matter, the latch isn't giving a good signal so the latch would need to be replaced. If the unit is still under warranty, I'd call warranty and they'd replace the latch at no charge.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5

Thank you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else I'm here for you.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?