Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm wanting to see if there is something I can troubleshoot

Customer Question

I'm wanting to see if there is something I can troubleshoot because my refrigerator/freezer isn't staying cold.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It's a GE but I'm not sure of the model--it's either a 20, 22 or a 25. It's about 12 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's easy enough
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really..it just stopped cooling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Also, do you hear anything running or is the unit 100% silent?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tyler. Thank you for your attention. Please accept my apologies as we didn't know that you had actually responded. When I got the notice that you had it was while I was driving into work. I'm not at home to be able to give you the model number. I can later today when I go home for lunch. The unit is not silent. It runs, there is even a clicking noise.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

That's quite alright, no need to apologize. Is the clicking noise every second or two or is it just once every couple minutes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every second or two.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

OK perfect. So I'll need the exact model number to look up the part but that is a fairly common issue on these type of GE refrigerator. If you pull the refrigerator forward, you'll see an 8" x 10" sheet metal access panel on the back of the unit. Behind this panel is your main control board and you'll see the clicking is coming from that board. This board fails in a way where the main power relay for the compressor can't engage and hole so it just keeps clicking trying to engage but it can't get the compressor to run which is why the unit is warming up. This board only takes about 15 minutes to swap out and it costs about $150 usually, but the board will need to be replaced to resolve the issue. It's all plug and play so if you wanted to replace it yourself you could.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The clicking has been going on for months now and the unit has worked fine now. Could it be possible that there are two issues? Also, I have pulled the unit to the front and it seems that most of the parts are at the bottom.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, the unit has worked fine in spite of the clicking.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Understood, but I can't imagine you have 2 issues. I would think that it's just the 1 problem that has become much worse to the point it can't get the compressor working anymore. Usually when it starts out you hear the clicking and it won't engage and finally the clicking stops and it starts working again and you may never be the wiser that it wasn't working. But eventually it gets to the point where it continues to click and never really stops and that is where you are at now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model # is GSL25JFPH BH. FYI it started running again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately the issue will come back and it'll keep being un-reliable until you replace board so below is a link to the board you need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board