AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 15 years
76126576

Gas oven goes boom when turned on and a new igniter was

Customer Question

gas oven goes boom when turned on and a new igniter was replaced a couple of days ago
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GE 2003 183D8077G064
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Broiler and range work normal,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech8579 replied 6 months ago.

I think the sound you hear is what is called delayed ignition. The oven burner is not lighting correctly and raw gas accumulates in the bottom of the oven. When the burner lights, it ignites the accumulated gas and there is a small explosion. This is not necessarily caused by the igniter, it can be the burner as well. I would clean the burner and see what happens. If still the same I would get a technician out as this is VERY dangerous.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you an nobody likes to go to work and not get paid. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.