Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Cabrio dryer start button flashes but won't start when start

Customer Question

Cabrio dryer start button flashes but won't start when start button pushed. Light goes off when door is closed. No power going to or from fuse.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Whirlpool Model WED6600VWO. Has not done this before. I have had to replace the fuse before but that problem is resolved about 2 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: would like to I have a very good parts shop local.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I show no power to the fuse when the door is closed and the start button is pushed. The light comes on and turns off as it should. The door switch clicks when pushed in.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

When you select a cycle and press start, does the dryer beep back at you after pressing start? If so, how many times does it beep?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does not beep at all.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

OK so you need to pull the dryer out and test power at the junction block on the back of the dryer to determine if it's getting 220 volts to the dryer or not. If you're getting 220 volts between the 2 outside power wires, remove the fuse and test continuity through the fuse (don't check for power). If the fuse doesn't have continuity, then replace it otherwise reconnect the wires to the fuse and re-install the fuse. Now the only other things that can cause your problem are the start switch, the door switch, the belt switch, and the timer. It sounds like you said the start switch and door switch are good so you'd want to take the dryer apart and make sure the belt is still connected because if the belt is broken or disconnected it won't trigger the belt switch next to the motor. Other than that you're looking at a bad timer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check the belt switch and the continuity on the fuse however the fuse shows no power on either lead on the fuse. This will take me a wile but the dryer is already apart so I'll check the belt switch first.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Understood, but again you don't test power to the fuse, you just test continuity through the fuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tested the door Switch for continuity, tested the belt switch for continuity, tested the fuse for continuity tested the electrical for voltage and no luck not sure how to test out the start switch, is there a module for it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Put in a new timer/control board and getting the same thing except now there is power at the fuse so something was wrong there apparently. . It still shows the start button blinking but there is no activity otherwise.