Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a maytag maxima front loader washer. I received a FO9

Customer Question
I have a maytag maxima...
I have a maytag maxima front loader washer. I received a FO9 EO1 error while doing a load of laundry. I looked it up and it said to clean the drain pump. I did that and when I tested it the machine just makes a clicking noise and then the number just starts flashing
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is 5 years old model # mhw6000xw1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is an easy fix
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I also cleaned the drain hose. It had a lot of sludge in it
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/1/2017
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 10 months ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why you appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.

The F9 E1 code is generated by the CPU by a long drain time.

If you have checked and cleaned the drain hose of sludge, that would indicate that you have more sludge in the pump lint trap. You need to take the front of the washer off to access the pump. Here is a generic video that is very close to you model of washer, Once you reach the pump, you will need to unscrew the filter and remove and clean it. I am sure you will find it filled with gungus and other very smelly stuff. There is a possiblity that the pump is broken, if so you will need to replace it.

click here for video

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 !!!!!!

______________________________________________________________

If there is anything else I can help you with today or just an additional question about your issue, just let me know.
I thought I would add, that many people think the deposit payment they placed at the signup is sent to me after I answer your question. It is not. It is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then Just Answer, credits me for the time working with you.
I am sure you appreciate my efforts on your behalf,and all I ask it that you take a few moments to "Accept" may answer and rate my efforts with 3-5 Stars on your screen, so I can close your question and proceed to help others that are waiting.
Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required
Thanks again for allowing me to help you out today!
Don

As I already mentioned I cleaned the drain pump (trap) already. I need to know why it is making a clicking noise when I try to start it then the numbers just start flashing. Would the drain pump cause such a reaction. The washer will not start at all. If it is the drain pump is it easy to replace and do you know the cost of the part?

Sorry , I missed that you cleaned the pump. But the pump usually starts running at the beginning of the cycle to clear any water from the sump.

If the pump is making the noise, then it is bad. They normally just making a humming sound. The cpu times the drain and after two minutes and iif the water level sensor still shows water in tub, it errors out.

Did you have any other questions for me tonight?

The part number for the pump ia WPW10321032 and is about 135.00

We are considering having a technician come look at it. Do you know of any good ones in Las Vegas? Before we call one out is there any way to reset the machine? There might still be water in it. Is it worth the effort to try to drain it to get it to work? This model is nearly impossible to find instructions on how to get the front panel off. We had to unscrew the bottom and just pull it out to get the drain cleared. Do you know where we can find instructions how to disassemble it? Also is there anything else you can think of that would cause it to make 5 short beeping/grinding kind of noises then the numbers on the display just start flashing? Also the door won't open- we have the top off and have found the manual override but just letting you know so you can diagnose it better.

If you plan on calling a tech and just want ot get the door open, and there is water in the machine, the only easy way I found is o get a shop vac and place the drain hose into the vac hose and suck the water out. Just an after thought, if there is something that is not jambed up in the drain system, this may clear it out. Just hold you hand around the end so you get a good vac on the tube.

Once the water is out, the door should unllock.

As far as a good tech, I would just Google wash machine repair in your area and pick one that has a 4-5 star rating. Usually just like JA that is a good indicator.

As stated above I already know how to get my door open, we used the manual override button. I was just informing you that it was happening so you could further diagnose my problem. I need to know how to get the front panel off of our model mhw6000xw1 Maytag Maxima. Also you didn't address my last question: "is there anything else you can think of that would cause it to make 5 short beeping/grinding kind of noises then the numbers on the display just start flashing (besides a bad pump)? " also- In your professional opinion if I go to the trouble of draining the water are my chances slim that it will fix the problem?

Unfortunately Whirlpool does not even has a service manual for your washer, otherwise I would have just sent you a link for it for free. The only info they have other than service bulletins of which none address your problem, is the tech sheet inside your machine which you have discovered. There are a number of videos on youtube for various front loader washers that you could view although none are for your exact washer, but they all come apart in similar fashion. I know your frustration in dealing with these issues, it is even hard for me to keep up with the changes they keep making every year. The worst being the one you have, with not being able to easily access the pump, in which they place a filter that has to be removed for cleaning. It is just plain stupid, but they don"t ask tech before they make design changes, I guess:(

As far as vacing the water out, I do it all the time. Sometimes, I get lucky and suck out the offending problem. The beeps are obviously an error message, but you need to address the pump as a cause before moving on. It is just a matter of elimination.

Maybe whirlpool doesn't have a service manual for me because as stated above I have a MAYTAG- How about them? I can't help but wonder if you are half way responding to someone else or just halfway reading my questions.

No ,that is not the problem, Whirlpool manufactures Maytag products. The Duet Washers are the same machines.

I am a factory service tech for them and have been repairing appliances since 1976.

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician