Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a whirlpool Refrigerator model ED5FHEXTS00. The

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool Refrigerator model ED5FHEXTS00. The fridge part is at 60 degrees and the freezer is at 50 degrees. We just bought the house and
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 year old ED5FHEXTS00
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We bought the house a couple weeks ago and the owners say the fridge is 1 year old. it was plugged in when we took over the house. I unplugged the fridge and let it set for about a minute. I did hear the fan motor start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Can you access the back of the refrigerator?

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

That model is considerably older, too. If you can provide the serial number, I can check the date. It is likely around 10+ years old.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not at this moment, if you could let me know what I need to do, that would be great.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Well, the issue is likely with the relay on the compressor. This model had a high failure rate on that part. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Unplug the refrigerator. If you pull the refrigerator out and remove the cover from the back of the cabinet, at the very bottom, you will expose the parts shown at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Number 28 is the compressor, it looks like a large, round, black ball. On the left side is the start device, or relay, number 16. It will simply pull off once the retainer wire (number 19) is removed. Once it has been removed, shake it. If it rattles, it is bad and will need to be replaced. The replacement part is available below.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I will give it a try.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HI Kelly
the serial number is *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Brand: Whirlpool
Type: Refrigerator
Country: USA
Model: ED5FHEXTS00
Serial: SU3531768

According to the serial number this product was manufactured in Ft. Smith, AR, August of 2007.