Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have this model NE-8860 microwave. The touch buttons to

Customer Question

I have this model NE-8860 microwave. The touch buttons to set microwave are non-responsive (i.e. Power, Defrost, Timer); however, the time selections (10, 1, 10, 1) still beep when selected. Are parts available for this model? What part do I need? How expensive is the part? Can it be done my me or spouse? I would rather not replace entire oven as it is vented to the outside (mounted over range and serves as range hood). Please advise. My cell phone # is(###) ###-#### my home email is***@******.***
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Panasonic NE-8860. And no, it has never done this before.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of now. As I explained, replacing would be rather complicated as it is mounted over the stove and also serves as vent/hood for stove. Is vented to outside.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

You can try to unplug the microwave for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If not, then unfortunately the touch control panel has just begun to fail and would need to be replaced. Getting parts may be difficult because you'll have to contact Panasonic, but the touch control panel is usually about $150 or so if the part is still made. The part shows as unavailable so that may not even be an option at this point. It is a standard size over the range microwave however so almost any over the range microwave would be able to take it's place and you can vent it outside just like your current microwave is designed if needed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.