John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a brand new (3 months old) Amana refrigerator with

Customer Question

I have a brand new (3 months old) Amana refrigerator with the split refrigerator doors and the freezer drawer on the bottom. Yesterday the icemaker quit making ice. We checked the automatic temperature and it is properly set. This frig started making ice the minute we plugged it in. What is wrong?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We bought the refrigerator a little over 3 month ago, new, from Home Depot. Its a 25 Cu Ft.. The serial number is ***** I don't know the model. but it has side by side doors for the frig part and the freezer drawer on the bottom.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'll do the work myself if it is simple.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Is the ice maker in the refrigerator part or in the freezer drawer? The model tag is usually on the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found the model number where you described. It is AF12539ERM00
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
  1. Thank you! Is the ice compartment freezer temperature?
  2. Is there ice in the ice maker that has not dumped or is it dry?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The display on the front door of the refrigerator says the temp is correct. It is set on the automatic tempertature setting (and has been since we hooked up the frig.) Yesterday I got a little ice out of the door dispenser and no more would come out so I opened the icemaker in the frig compartment and its empty. It is not making ice. We checked the water connection. Its fine. We are able to get water out of the door dispenser.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If you feel in the area where the ice bucket is, is it freezer temperature in there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just reached in and the coil is very cold. I would say its freezer temp in there.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Can you feel ice in the ice maker that has not dumped or is it dry?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no ice in the ice maker. It is dry as a bone in there. I did have a mishap once with ice backing up in the door chute so I checked that out right away. The door chute is clear and there is no ice stuck anywhere.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If you look up on the top of the cabinet, in the left rear corner, you will see a small tube (see number 2 at link below). If you push on that, is it hard, like it is frozen and plugged with ice?

CLICK HERE