Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold Fridge. Purchased end of 2006. will

Customer Question

HI. I have a Whirlpool Gold Fridge. Purchased end of 2006. will no longer receive the water filter
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: GT1SHTXMQ81
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: MFG DATE 11-04
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: WHEN I TRY TO INSERT THE NEW WATER FILTER, THE FRIDGE WILL NOT RECEIVE IT, AS IF THE RECEPTOR DROPPED DOWN OR WENT SOMEWHERE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

The filter receptacle has a diverter valve built into it which prevents the water from spraying out when you remove the filter. Unfortunately this valve will fail sometimes and won't go back to the open location to allow water to flow through the filter when you dry to install a new filter. Try your old filter to make sure the new filter isn't the issue and if it still won't re-install, replace the filter housing. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for filter housing

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.