Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kelly, my Maytag Neptune mah6500aww now has an Lr error

Customer Question

Hi Kelly, my Maytag Neptune mah6500aww now has an Lr error code, after I replaced the inlet valve assemby because the door opened with a tubfull of water and flooded the laundry room. I looked at the white wire connections as a previous post mentioned, but without re-doing all the connections they appear tight.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Sorry Pearl, didn't see your tiny pic. I would guess about 7 years old but that is a guess only. It is a Neptune mah6500aww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I downloaded the owners manual for trouble shooting and when Lr appears as an error code it just says call for service. Another download gives me diagnostic test instructions but I got stuck when starting the motor and motor control test as the illustration did not match my machine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I am really sorry for the delayed response. That error means Locked Rotor, a motor issue. Typically, it is a faulty motor control that causes that error, unless the tub cannot move. Will the tub turn by hand?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the tub will turn by hand. I read elsewhere here that there is a neutral wire issue, but my wiring appears to be ok. Thanks. Any next steps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A phone call makes sense...can we arrange a convenient daytime call.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The tech sheet for your machine is attached. Will the tub move in the Quick Spin Test part of the diagnostic cycle?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kelly...odd results from the Quick spin test...after accessing the service mode, pressed spin and the machine immediately locked the door and began spinning. After a few minutes this continued...I had expected the test to be over in 6 seconds times 6 speed variations. During the spin time I detected no change in speeds or anything I would refer to as a "hold for six seconds". After more continuous spinning I needed to leave the area to look at my computer screen to review what was supposed to happen...so I was gone from the spinning machine for about another minute. When I returned the spinning continued but it appears the machine had exited the service mode by itself...so the machine was on and spinning but the led panel was lit up like a Xmas tree...meaning it appeared to be ready to accept a new load of wash. At that point I pressed stop and the machine shut down.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Will it now start a new cycle and run?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Kelly for staying with this. The answer is no. Here's what happened. I set the washer for a delicate quick wash which resulted in a 30 minute estimate. I checked the progress at 5 minute intervals. At 18 minutes the washer displayed a Lr code but it obviously was continuing to operate...we heard (for lack of a better term) a light howling noise at that point...not so much as an automobile water pump going out but a howl we haven't noticed before. Anyway...the washer continued operating for another minute and a half....then it obviously shut off electrically...then door unlocked and when we opened it the drum was spinning at quite a high speed until it finally stopped by itself. And that's my story for this evening. Thanks again.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The door unlocked with the tub spinning?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Exactly. We were surprised as well. The door unlock was relatively loud and obvious so we opened it up and found the drum spinning merrily away.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I believe the issue lies with the motor. If you remove the belt and spin just the motor shaft, is it noisy?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you mean bearing failure noise? I'll do the check tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kelly, I hope I haven't misled you by mentioning a noise/howl. You seem to have jumped at the possibility the motor (meaning the bearing) is the problem, when every indication is there is an electrical problem. I don't understand. Maybe your job isn't to make me understand. Anyway. With the front cover off but not the belt I spun the tub and listened for motor noise...and heard nothing. Do you really want me to remove the back cover and the belt to do this test? Please give me more than a few word answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The motor should not be running with the tub unlocked. That tells me that either the motor is uncontrollable or there is a control issue. Given there is noise present with the error code, yes, I do need to know if the motor makes noise when spun by itself.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks I'll do that test and report back.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK...tested the motor noise without the belt and my wife (who can hear better than I) says there is no noise other than the motor's fan noise. Certainly no noise that would suggest a failing bearing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I believe the motor is likely faulty.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

There is a sensor in the motor that reports the RPM to the control. That will make the motor uncontrollable if it fails because the control does not know what it is doing and it sill shut down with that error.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The control is likely getting the message that the motor is not moving, even though it is, hence the reason the door opened with the tub spinning. I would replace the motor. Would you like a link to that part?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you suggesting that I replace the motor?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Kelly, I have a good appliance parts source here nearby. If you wouldn't mind...I am still not sure I understand what lead you to the motor as being the problem. I trust your judgement so all I want to do is understand your thinking. If the motor is working but out of control it seems that the control board could also be considered faulty...unless this...are you saying that the motor is supposed to send a signal to the control board to keep it informed...but that the signal is missing/faulty? Could that be the reason the motor operates but you say it is actually faulty? Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kelly, I'm back. As suggested I replaced the motor and just now did a short test wash. Unfortunately the Lr code appeared again and shut the machine down. Can you offer a next step for me? Thanks.