Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am getting a bad smell from the bottom of the

I am getting a bad smell from the bottom of the refrigerator, originally thought that it was cat litter or something like that, but it has lasted for some time now and hasnt gone away.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: about two to three months old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I hope to clean it myself, trying to figure the best way to get under the fridge
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: 18cu Refrigerator GTE18ETBB

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So attached below is a diagram of your refrigerator down by the compressor. If you're getting an odor, it would be coming from the defrost drain pan which is the pan below the compressor which collects water and evaporates due to the heat generated by the compressor over time. The defrost drain pan is part 746 on the diagram and you may need to unplug the refrigerator, pull the unit out, and remove the lower back access panel so you can manually clean out the pan with a rag and white vinegar.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry Tyler for my late reply. I did not get chance until this past Saturday to work on the refrigerator. The diagram that you sent was a great help and I was able to clean up the disgusting smell after I knew where to look at. After I cleaned the correct area the smell cleared up after the fridge was able to start up. No smell as soon as that evening.Thanks,Michael