AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 15 years
76126576

Or Pearl, Maytag Model mah5500bwq. Gets to spin cycle at 7

Customer Question

Hello John or Pearl, Maytag Model mah5500bwq. Gets to spin cycle at 7 minutes and then goes quiet for about a minute, and then goes to 0. Then beeps to let me know it finished. But no spin cycle ever happened. Stops after rinse. Any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maytag neptune. probably at least 10 years. Everything inside looks new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The door locks. R11 does not appear burned.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech8579 replied 10 months ago.

Any fault codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
od came up earlier

Od means that the washer thinks the door is open. The door switch will need to be replaced in order to fix this.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.

If the door latch has continuity then the control will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.

You can use a multimeter from your local hardware store to test the door switch for continuity. The control is the brain of the machine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.

You need Part Number WP22004299 which is at the top of the machine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?

Set the multimeter to the ohms setting X1. Place a probe on each terminal. The multimeter should display a reading of infinity. Depress the button on the lid switch and the reading should change from a reading of infinity to roughly zero. If it does not pass both of these tests, the switch should be replaced.

You can purchase it here. CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?How do you get to the switch - does the front panel need to be removed?

Is this a Front load?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?How do you get to the switch - does the front panel need to be removed?Yes a front load

You would need to remove the top panel. Should be 3 screws in the back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?How do you get to the switch - does the front panel need to be removed?Yes a front loadthe top won't come off. I removed the panel that has the control assembly. I took out the 4 screws on top that hold the cover where you put the detergent in. Looking at the back, the top has to come forward for it to lift up. Where else would be the screws holding it on?

The are 3 hex screws in the BACK then you pull the panel back and up to get it off.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?How do you get to the switch - does the front panel need to be removed?Yes a front loadthe top won't come off. I removed the panel that has the control assembly. I took out the 4 screws on top that hold the cover where you put the detergent in. Looking at the back, the top has to come forward for it to lift up. Where else would be the screws holding it on?I can not find any screws in the back top of the machine. I have to get to bed, and will have to try again the next day or two. So what do we do now?

Can you attach a photo of the front and back of the unit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did not come up after I ran the machine again. It says it locks and unlocks.everything seems to be working, except after the rinse at 7 minutes, it goes silent for about a minute. Then the timer goes to zero and beeps, telling me it is done. But never got the spin cycle.I don't know what you mean by continuity. And what control will have to be replaced? I am not a repair man, I just watched a couple vids on youtube.I don't know where to apply the leads to test the door switch. It looks like there are two motherboards, or control panels. One up top and one at the bottom on the left side.where do I order that from? web address?How do you get to the switch - does the front panel need to be removed?Yes a front loadthe top won't come off. I removed the panel that has the control assembly. I took out the 4 screws on top that hold the cover where you put the detergent in. Looking at the back, the top has to come forward for it to lift up. Where else would be the screws holding it on?I can not find any screws in the back top of the machine. I have to get to bed, and will have to try again the next day or two. So what do we do now?not tonight. I have to get up early for work

Okay, just post back here when you can and we will continue.

Please take the time now to rate me a 5 star at the top of your page so I receive the credit for helping you, Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Jamie. I am not done with this issue. I just have a very busy life and fixing the wash machine is not top priority. When I can get back to it, I will. And as far as rating you with 5 star, that will be determined when our conversation is finished. Have a nice day.Respectfully,
Joe
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Jamie,How can I fairly rate your service when I have not had time to order part and install? It looks like money has been pulled from my account, so someone got paid. I thought I'd try to run the washer again, and the rinse cycle worked. I don't think it went to full spin, but everything was reasonably dry.