Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a KUDS24SE and the latch that opens the door is

Customer Question
broken. How can we open it? Thanks...
We have a KUDS24SE and the latch that opens the door is broken.
How can we open it?
Thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/27/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the latch is broken, you will have to use a screwdriver to attempt to poke up beside the handle to release the latch. TURN THE POWER OFF AT THE BREAKER FIRST, THERE IS POWER AT THE DOOR SWITCHES!

Let me know what happens.

I have done that but nothing. Spent maybe 20 minutes poking around with a table knife and a screwdriver.
Any other suggestions?

IT can be a real nightmare to do, that really is the only way unless you can gain access to the top of the machine. However, it is likely secured into the cabinet. You can use a drill bit to drill up through the handle, to better access the latch. It will all be replaced as an assembly anyway.

if I break the plastic latch it will cause no more damage than is necessary?
How much does the assembly cost and where do I order it?Thanks
Still there?

It depends on the rest of the model number. There are many missing characters I need to get you the correct handle/latch assembly. Some models use a separate handle and some have it all together.

Worst case scenario, you need to replace both parts. The diagram at the link below shows the number 5 that pushes up the latch.

CLICK HERE

What I gave you was the model number on the user guide. No other symbols.

The model tag is, you guessed it, behind the door on the tub.....

What's the tub?

Where the dishes are loaded.

unless I open the door I can't see it.Correct?

That is correct. If you drill a hole right in the center of the handle, you should be able to use a needle nose to grab the metal actuator rod to push up the latch to release the lock.

Getting a hole large enough to use the needle nose took a while but shining light up there do not see anything to latch onto.Taking lunch break now. Is this rod running in from the door?
How wide is it?

It sits right in the middle of the handle. When the handle is pushed up, it pushes on the latch to release the lock. See it below....

CLICK HERE

John, Home Appliance Technician