Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an LG french door refrigerator with bottom freezer

Customer Question
drawer. I think the drain...
I have an LG french door refrigerator with bottom freezer drawer. I think the drain in the back is part of my problem, because I am getting water in freezer, but what is happening is the drawer slides are freezing up. I cleaned the freezer and slides with a hair dryer then a little while later I went to open the freezer and I pulled the whole fridge out from the wall.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I will go get Model number
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think the fridge is about ten years old model# *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
11/27/2016
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

If you are getting water on the bottom of the freezer, you have a plugged defrost drain.

In the back of the freezer inside towards the middle of the rear panel, there is a hole that directs the defrost water down into a collection pan in the back of the fridge. You need to remove the drawer and then the drawer slides off the freezer walls and then remove the back panel to access the drain hole. Once you get it exposed, you need to melt off the ice that is blocking the hole and force hot water down the tube to clear it.

If you own a steamer such as this (click here) the job will be much easier.

Once you clear the drain and water will flow down it, the fridge will be operational again.

Thanks for letting me answer your question.

Don

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician