Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

We have a Maytag Centennial Washer that has developed a mind

We have a Maytag Centennial Washer that has developed a mind of it's own! When we attempt to wash a load of clothes it starts over from the beginning without completing the cycle. Is there a reset or some diagnostics we can perform before calling for service?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maybe 5 years old at the most. We inherited it from my father two years ago. How do I determine the exact model?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can do some of it but try to be aware of my limits.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We can manage to get a load done after a fashion with a lot of "intervention" steps; changing cycles, unplugging and re plugging the power cord, etc.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I think the message I sent got lost. If the washer runs a full cycle and then starts all over again it just needs reset. I have the procedure and just need to know if that is what is happening.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that is what is happening. The washer starts over on a new cycle instead of stopping at the end of the process.

Ok, thanks. Sorry for the delay, I don't know what happened but the good news is you don't need to replace anything. Here is what to do.

Your washer is in the "endless loop" that is used by the factory. It’s not clear why this happens accidently but can be cause by voltage fluctuations. You need to go into diagnostics to turn this off. The video link at the bottom will be helpful if you have trouble. Start with washer plugged with all the lights off. Turn the dial to the left several times and stop straight up at the 12:00 position. Turn knob clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second, one more click and wait 1/2 second, one more click and wait 1/2 second. Now turn one click counterclockwise and wait 1/2 second. Last turn one click clockwise and all the LEDs should come on to indicate you entered diagnostics. If it did not work the first time that is okay, just start over and try again. After you get into diagnostics with those instructions here is what to do. Turn the knob until the wash, rinse and done LEDs are all on and then press start. The washer should not start and all LEDs should be off. Sometimes it takes several tries to make this happen. Let me know how it goes. Diagnostics video link

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks!

You are welcome!

How did it go? Are you back in business or still need help?