Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My oven is not heating. It is a jean-air svd48600 gas range.

Customer Question

My oven is not heating.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a jean-air svd48600 gas range. I don't know how old it is.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was hoping it was a quick fix since I am having Thanksgiving at my house today. I will probably not be doing it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

If the oven is not heating do you see the ignitor glowing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No but it makes the clicking sound like it is working

OK then the ignitor is burned out, if you are in a real pinch you can remove the broil ignitor and swap it with the bake ignitor to get heat in the oven as you likely will nto be able to get an ignitor today.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would I do that? Also, this model oven does not have a separate broiler.

It shows that model as a gas top and electric oven?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe so

OK does it broil? there is a separate broil element

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't heat up on broil either

OK great, you may be able to get it working for the day. You need to slide the unit out remove the back panel and unplug it. You will see a round thermostat mounted to the upper area of the back oven with 2 thick wires to it. Take those wires off and interlock them so they are connecting tight and electrical tape them up then plug the unit back in and try it. That is the most likely issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Also here is a link to that part

CLICK HERE