John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE Refrig Model Number GSH25JGCBBB. There appears

Customer Question

I have a GE Refrig Model Number GSH25JGCBBB. There appears to be a catchment area in the back of the freezer to collect defrosted ice water. The water collects in there and freezes. It also appears that there might me a heating element under the catchment area which keeps it in a liquid form so that it can enter a drain hole. I notice that there is a wire that extends through the base of the catchment area. The water doesn't drain. Might it be that the heating is defective resulting in it freezing rather than draining.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: This is the exact model: GE Refrig Model Number GSH25JGCBBB. It is approximately 3-4 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can remove the heating element and get a replacement, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about all I can tell you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Engineer-Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your model.

Can you tell me if the water overflows into the bottom of the freezer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does then freezes.

Ok, can you see the drain in the back?

Or is it frozen over?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see the drain hole from the front of the freezer. I gather I would have to open the back to see anything more. The drain hole was frozen over but I cleared the ice away from it. Now it appears that the water freezes before it reaches the hole.

Ok, that drain hole needs to be cleared of ice. Do you have a turkey baster?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but the water never travels to the hole. It freezes on contact with the recessed area.

Here is what is supposed to happen. The heater comes on every 8 hours to melt the ice off of the coils. The water hits the trough and goes to the drain hole and drains underneath the refrigerator into a pan and then evaporates after a few hours.

Only a little bit will freeze on contact and the rest will go down the hole. The drain tube is clogged with mold deeper down. You need to clear the ice from the hole with the turkey baster until it is clear. Then you need to put some putty around the baster to seal it and push it into the hole and blow it out to clear the mold down deeper in the tube.

I do this 3 times a week and it fixes it every time.

You may need to take off the evaporator cover to get clear access to the hole.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is what's not happening. The drain hole is on the left side of the trough. The water that flows into the right side of the trough freezes in place and accumulates in the form of ice. That's what leads me to believe there must be some type of heat source spanning the trough keeping it from freezing before it gets to the hole.

That is ok. When the drain is clear. The hot water will overwhelm the pan and start melting it. It is freezing up higher because the drain is backing up. I see this all the time. What needs to be done is that the hole needs to be completely cleared and it will stop overflowing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think this is my problem. I'll have to get a appliance service in to fix it.

Ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please end this call.