Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My mother has a Tappan range that was made in 1992. It looks

Customer Question
and acts brand new, except...
My mother has a Tappan range that was made in 1992. It looks and acts brand new, except the oven will not work. I replaced the igniter yesterday, but still nothing. I took a reading with a volt meter, and it is only showing 51V. I don't think that's enough power to start the igniter. Options ?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Tappan is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Don't have Model with me, but it was made in 1992
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: already had a repair service, so I guess it's my turn
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need to know how to get voltage up
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/23/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 12 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you?

Also, if you check voltage at the igniter, what reading do you get between the 2 wires going to the igniter? 51 volts? What about if you test each wire to ground what do you get?

I still only get 51 V.

OK so that means your igniter isn't the problem and neither is your oven gas safety valve because the safety valve controls the neutral. The power comes directly from either your display board (if your model has one) or the mechanical thermostat if you have a turn knob for your oven. Either way check the wires back between the igniter and the control board igniter and thermostat and if the wires aren't damaged or broken, you'll need to replace the display board or thermostat (again depending on which your model has).

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I have a turn knob, so I guess I need to replace the mechanical thermostat. Will the part number be stamped onto original thermostat. Is there a trick to getting to the thermostat for replacement ?

If they even make the part, you'll need the model number to look up the part. The full model should be located on a sticker around the front frame of the oven and seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door if there is one.

I already looked, and the sticker on the frame only talks about safety. There are no decals under the drawer. Maybe under the range top ?
Also looked on the back.

It wouldn't be on the back. Possibly under the top but you would need the model to look up parts. Otherwise you can bring your old part into a parts store and see if they can match any numbers up off the part. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc