Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I just purchased a Maytag washing machine and I need to know

Customer Question

I just purchased a Maytag washing machine and I need to know about installation. The jnstructions say the standpipe must be 39 inches off the floor. Mine is 30. Will that work?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Brand new. Model mvwc416fw
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. Ought to be easy unless I need to redo the standpipe.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I have an installation question. How on earth would I know what you need to know? You're the experts. :)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

30 inches should work on this unit, but if for some reason the washer continues to keep trying to fill, you're a couple inches off so it's draining at the same time it's filling because the drain hose isn't high enough. If that happens, you'll want to clamp the drain hose higher, and then go down into the stand pipe so that it has closer to a 39" rise before it goes down. That will stop the unit from siphoning the water out.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.