Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 4 year old Miele microwave. Model is H4080BM. It

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Miele microwave. Model is H4080BM. It sounds like the magnatron, the diode and the wave guide need to be replaced. The magnetron malfunctioned and caused sparks which made a 'hole' in the diode
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Miele is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have a 4 year old Miele microwave. Model is H4080BM.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Nope rather not
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I want to spend as little money as possible
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So unfortunately parts for Miele appliances come from Miele themselves---they don't have outside distributers so you'll need to contact them to order new parts. That being said, your magnetron definitely needs to be replaced as well as the wave guide cover. I'm not sure what you mean about the diode having a hole however, but if there is a hole in the diode that will also need to be replaced. On top of all of that, there is a metal vent tunnel between the magnetron and the microwave cavity which is called the "wave guide". This part is welded to the frame and can't be replaced separately. You'll need to get microwave cavity paint and spray it into this wave guide tunnel after sanding any damaged areas you can reach to prevent the magnetron from arcing out again. Below is a link to the cavity paint you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for cavity paint

As for Miele's number it's 1.***-***-**** and you can order parts from them.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Tyler, so there is no way to repair any of these parts rather than buying new ones?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

There is not I'm afraid. They will definitely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tyler, the microwave makes a loud noise and makes smoke. The technician said that the magnetron, diode and the wave guide need to be replaced. Is there anything else it could be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

The transformer can cause a lot of smoke an loud noise, but that would be the only other option. To know if the transformer is the issue you'd have to disconnect the wires to the magnetron and run it to see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't, then your transformer is bad---otherwise the other parts are bad. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?