Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Samsung washer has error code E3. went to quick test mode.

Customer Question

Samsung washer has error code E3. went to quick test mode. Motor test failed.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I think it is about 8 yrs old. Model WF218ANW/XAA
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on how in depth the problem is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that comes to mind right now
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got it to run empty. Looks like the drum is out of alignment. Front of drum looks like it is going up and down as it turns.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I suspect the tub support is broken. If you lift up and down on the tub, does it move and/or make a knocking sound?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No knocking sound and lifting tub (if you apply enough force) moves the entire assembly (tub rubber real ect.)
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hmm, that is odd considering what you are seeing when the tub rotates. Any sound when you manually spin the tub?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just the slight squeak of the tub against the front gasket as it rides up and down across it. Seems more like a bent support that a broken support.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I would agree, but they are cast and I have never seen one bend. Have you noticed any leakage around the back of the tub where the rear bearing is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, but it is in the basement with wall behind it. if it does not leak enough to run out in front of the machine, I would not notice it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I would take a look behind the rear access panel to see if that tub is showing any signs of leakage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
seems like the next logical step, open it up and try to see if I can spot the problem. It will be a bit later before I can get to that so I will let you know what I find when I get it open.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sure, there is no time limit or hurry, thank you!