Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Sub Zero model 632 that give a bad smell when

Customer Question

I have a Sub Zero model 632 that give a bad smell when opening the refrigerator side. It goes away after a few seconds, but it it very irritating. No problems on the freezer side. Also, we have taken the kickplate off and cleaned the drain pan, cleaned the plenum above the refrigerator and cleaned the entire inside of the refrigerator. Still we have not been able to affect the smell when first opening.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I think it was original in this home (we just bought the house), built in 2002. Model is a 632 I believe
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If i can, i will. I would like to know what would be causing this smell
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that i can think of.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The odor is likely in the air path, behind the panels. Does the odor also present in the freezer, too, or just the refrigerator section?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just the refrigerator.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Are you able to remove the rear panel from inside the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will have to check when I get home tonight. I have removed the fan cover and the light panel/ceiling, and screws seemed to go through that back panel, so it seems like I should be able to remove it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Okay, once you get access and a chance to clean it, I suspect the odor will go away, unless it is an electrical type odor. Let me know what happens.