Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a double oven and turned to self cleaning the upper.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a double oven and turned to self cleaning the upper. I opened bottom door while in upper cleaning mode. Now door latch is in locked position and can't close
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Looking
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: My husband. Where do I find the model number?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it is an electric double range purchased brand new two years ago
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally. The other thing you can do is to tape the door/light switch closed and then reset the circuit breaker for 60 seconds. Once you re-apply power the latch should unlock if the door switch is pushed in.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have tried your suggestions many times at no success. Any other suggestions? Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

That should definitely work so if it doesn't and the door won't unlock the latch has just failed and would need to be replaced. There really are no other options.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me how expensive that can be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

It depends on the model number but the part is usually about $100 and labor to have someone install it is about $150.