Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I installed a new dishwasher, and it ran but the water did

Customer Question

I installed a new dishwasher, and it ran but the water did not drain and when we pulled the dishes out, they were covered with soap; I know that I must have missed a step, any ideas would be welcomed :-)
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: Model: GDT625PSJ2SS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes It runs but does not look to drain
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Is your unit connected to a garbage disposal? Was your old dishwasher connected to a garbage disposal? Is the disposal new?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the old dishwasher was connected to a garbage disposal and the new one is too

OK is the disposal new?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
over a year old
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well, 7 months

OK and it worked with the old dishwasher correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did

OK I just wanted to make sure the knock out plug on the disposal was removed and it sounds like it was if it worked with the old dishwasher. But if you're not 100% sure then put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket instead of connected to the disposal and see if it'll drain. Other than that that, if the hose isn't kinked then either the wires to the drain pump became disconnected or the pump came faulty from the factory or possibly the black flow preventer flap where the drain hose connects under the dishwasher is stuck closed and won't open. It's a new unit so I'd call warranty to have them check it out but if you wanted to do it yourself you'd pull the dishwasher out and disconnect the drain hose and make sure the rubber backflow flap isn't stuck. Then make sure the pump has the power wires connected. If it's anything other than that it would require a part replacement so you'd need to call warranty anyways.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know that it worked with the old dishwasher so we are good on that one. I will try the other ideas and give you a good rating, thank you for your time.

No problem and sorry to hear about the troubles.