Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Years of Repair Experience, Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Technology, MBA
95589641

Pearl. I have a 2008 KitchenAid microwave [TR W22 14556]. It

Hi, Pearl. I have a 2008 KitchenAid microwave [TR W22 14556]. It has recently "taken on a mind of its own." It is SO weird. On its own it programs times, changes screens, and beeps! Is there a way to reset-the-system, perhaps to its default settings or some kind of diagnostic test to run?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: As noted: 2008 [TR W22 14556]
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Perhaps, I'm fairly capable.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not particularly. The microwave does work and so do its functions.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Can you give me the model number that is inside of the microwave?

Unfortunately the number you gave me is not a valid model number.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also mistyped my email address!!! Just figured out how to reconnect with you. The model number of the KitchenAide microwave is KH2050SSS-1
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
JustAnswer customer service helped correct with correcting my email address and resetting my password. I hope we can continue with this conversation, as your response was not received until today, December 13.

Thank you for your replay. I'm glad Just Answer got your email situation straightened out. I just tried to look up that model number. It did not come up as being valid. Can you recheck it? By the way. I log on at different times of the day. However, anytime I see a response, I will reply right away. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! It is so great to finally connect with you. I double checked the model number on the built-in microwave combination hood appliance. The model number is" KHMS2050SSS. It's displaying the most bizarre activity I've ever seen with an appliance -- all on "its own," I do hope you can help diagnosis the problem. Julia

Hi Julia,

It appears that we have been logging on at different hours. I looked up this model. Can you tell me if it acts haywire like this at anytime - while it is cooking and while it is just sitting there doing nothing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All of the above! During the night, during the day and while cooking --though, with the latter the haywire behavior doesn't interfere with the cooking function. It will "chirp" and screen will flash.

After looking this over, you either need to have either the user interface or the control panel replaced. You will need to have a technician come out to test it to determine which one it is - that is the only way to get an accurate diagnosis for a problem like this. The control panel part number is ***** (about $159) and the user interface board part number is ***** (around $200).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's actually better news than a $600+ to replace the entire appliance. Thanks for your help and the part numbers. Much appreciated.
Julia

You’re Welcome.
Would you mind rating my service to you? Just Answer will only compensate me for my time if you rate me. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. (TIPS) are appreciated! Thank you.