Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool drop in stove model # RS696PXGB. The oven

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool drop in stove model # RS696PXGB. The oven door latch will lock and not unlock a low temperatures even if the off button is pushed. It will unlock after waiting several minutes after it is turned off.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased in 2008.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is at all possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing at this time. Just what is causing the oven door to lock when it is turned on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So there are only 2 things that would cause your issue if you're not getting an error code and that would be a faulty door latch or a bad control board. The problem is it's difficult to know which one is at fault because it sounds like the heat from the oven is causing the latch or control board to act up. There are 2 switches on the latch that tend to make or break contact when the unit heats up and that can cause the latch to lock until it cools down so by far the most likely issue is a bad latch which would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?