Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

MY DOOR IS LOCKED, 30 MINUTES, YES, 86 YEAR OLD LADY AND

Customer Question

MY DOOR IS LOCKED
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 30 MINUTES
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I AM AN 86 YEAR OLD LADY AND CONNOT MOVE THE WASHER IF THAT IS NECESSARY
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: IT IS A MAXIMA\STEAM\DIRECTDRIVE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So the first thing you can try is to unplug the washer or flip the breaker off for 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, then you need to manually release the latch. So to manually unlock the door, it's not easy since they Maytag units are "commercial". You need to pull the washer forward (may need a neighbor or friend to help with this possibly?) and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. There is a plastic tab hanging from the bottom of the latch assembly. You need to unplug the washer and pull down on that plastic tab to manually unlock the door.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
unplugging did not help, I will call a local service person. Thank you for your input.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

No problem and sorry about the bad news. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?