Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My selfcleaning oven turned into a small smoke bomb - lots

Customer Question

My selfcleaning oven turned into a small smoke bomb - lots and lots of smoke coming out the sides of the over. I turned it off. Now how do I go from here?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: XL44 Self Cleaning gas range
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just help me know what to do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The smoke bomb is due to the oven going too long since your last self clean so what you'll want to do is pick up some Easy Off for Self Cleaning Ovens and clean out the floor and sides of your microwave by hand as best you can. Then run it through a self clean cycle with any fans and vents you have turned on in your kitchen as well as open your windows. There will still be smoke, but it shouldn't be as bad if you wipe out most of the residue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?