Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Electric Range and the we noticed that the

Customer Question
preheat would take twice or...
I have a Kenmore Electric Range and the we noticed that the preheat would take twice or three times as long as usual. Once it switches over to bake, it cooks just fine. I tried to study the situation and determined that the bottom heating element had some cankering on it, so I replaced that element with a new one. Well it really did not help at all. I am not getting any error codes. I have checked my voltage and it is at 240. I have studied the control board on the back of the stove and there is nothing obviously wrong with it. It is Kenmore Elite Model # 790.46613502. Any guidance would be helpful
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased in 2006. The model # is 790.46613502
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Everything else works fine on the unit. The Stove, it seems to broil just fine. And it bakes fine as well once it preheats all the way.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
11/16/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

The oven preheats using all the elements to heat up quicker although the bake element is supposed to be on 100% and the rest only 30% during preheat for bake. After it reaches the temperature only the bake element is used which means that the bake element is not bad if it holds temperature once it reaches the correct temperature. That means that one of your other elements has either failed or the control board has failed. You'll want to pull the oven forward and unplug it. Remove the back sheet metal panel and test continuity through the convection element around the center fan as well as through the broil element at the top of the oven. If either do not have continuity, replace it. If they all check good, you need a new display control board because the logic in the board is not working properly or there is a bad relay on the board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, so I think it is the control board, but this oven has two control boards, one located in the back and then there is the display control board. The back control board is easy to access and look at and I cannot see any obvious problems. Are you pretty confident it would be the "display" control board that you would look at first?

Yes, I'm very confident these are the only things that can cause your problem. The display board is like the mother board so if it fails it can cause any number of issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

No problem and good luck. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc