John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have an 11 year old GE Profile Dishwasher. Right now we

Customer Question

We have an 11 year old GE Profile Dishwasher. Right now we can not get the door open. I have reset the controls and even shut power off to the appliance but can not get the latch to release the door.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was installed in December 2004. Unfortunately I did not copy down the model number. Of course it is on the data plate inside the machine dooThe owners manual is for PDW8 8000 thru 9000 series washers. ...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what it takes to fix the problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Other than the door latch will not release the door, no.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

You should be able to just pull the door open , the latch assembly does NOT lock the door just holds it closed

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried again and can not pull open the door. Are you telling me that the washer settings do not keep door from opening? If not then something must be jammed between door and washer frame

yes the dishwasher does not have a mechanism that locks the door the door latch assembly only hold the door closed , you should be able to push on the handle and pull the door open .

You have requested a phone call which I accepted but Just Answer is telling me that the payment has failed for the phone call.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have reentered the card number. Still an ssue?

still showing ((Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.))

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Entered new card number. .

your best bet is to contact Just Answer because I still get ((Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.)) on this new card also.

We can still converse on this computer also .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was just going to pry the door open. Have no idea why there is problem with credit card. Forget hone call even if issue with card resolved.

no problem ,if you get the door open and have any questions just reply back to me!

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?