Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Contractor just installed a Maytag MED 5500 FW dryer. The 4"

Customer Question

Contractor just installed a Maytag MED 5500 FW dryer. The 4" vent line is at the maximum length accounting for elbows. Near the end where it exhausts horizontally, he has increased the size of the vent to 6". Will this increase in size make it difficult or impossible to clean adequately? will lint just build up in the 6" portion?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Brand new never used yet. I don't have more than MHW5500FW for model number. It is side venting.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. proper installation is contractor's responsibility.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If this size change is a problem, Are there any cleaning methods that could reasonably be used to keep it clean, or should we correct the installation and use 4" vent (smooth, not flexible) full length?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Yes the larger 6 inch venting will not allow the dryer to have the correct back pressure,, so any lint that has gone thru the filter and the full length of the 4 inch vent line will just stack up in the 6 inch vent and eventually clog the vent

Now if the venting pipe has to be that long if they install a vent booster fan on the dryer vent piping then it would work fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lint would eventually clog up the 4" line also if not cleaned periodically anyway. Will normal cleaning correct this problem or or is there another reasonable way to clean it with the 6" portion? Do we need to change back to 4" vent full length? No room for booster fan.

You could run the dryer for 20-30 years if the four inch piping is run correctly before it would clog up.

yes I would change the 6 inch to 4 inch , less likely to have an issue.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.