Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Maytag French door bottom mount refrig. 1 mnth ago

Customer Question

I have a Maytag French door bottom mount refrig. 1 mnth ago it was draining water out(1-2 cup) the right front, several nights in a row. I noticed the freezer door wasn't closing all the way so 1 wk ago I defrosted freezer and water stopped running out the bottom.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Yesterday the motor started making a buzzing noise and it does not sound like the freezer compressor is shutting off, or will do so only for 5 seconds. The noise is lod and not a normal noise. The unit is only 2 yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: model # MFT2976AEMOO I don't know if I can do this work or if it is under warranty??
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Seems like it is cooling fine in both frig and freezer, just loud, and fearful that it will just fail
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. More than likely the buzzing noise is coming from either your evaporator fan or the compressor. Are you able to get behind your unit and let me know how hot the compressor is? Its a possibility it is low on freon?

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The compressor could be bad or something may be stuck in the fan by the compressor or in the freezer. I would pull the unit out and remove the rear panel, check the compressor and the fan next to it to see if they are making the noise. If they are running fine then remove the rear panel in the freezer and check for ice build up you could have a defrosting issue causing the noise.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.