Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have a Samsung DMT400RHS Dishwasher. It's 3 years old, and

Customer Question

Hello - Have a Samsung DMT400RHS Dishwasher. It's 3 years old, and recently started blinking the error code HEAVY and SMART AUTO lights. Based on many complaints of this, I first replaced the main control board. Error persisted after second cycle.
I then replaced the case sensor/flow meter.
Again this error persists after a a cycle or two. I pulled the drain hose and the little rubber check valve flap was embedded in the drain hose. I pulled it out. dishwasher seems to drain just fine, though the second cycle I ran after flow sensor replaced there was a lot of water at the bottom of dishwasher. Performing a manual drain gets it all out. I'm about ready to put this to the curb, but thought I would check with an expert to validate this first... thanks much
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

That is a water fill error and is almost always caused by a flow meter failure. Since you replaced the control, that would also support its failure. See the attached page.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

The flow meter is part of the assembly on the left side of the dishwasher tub, available below. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

The video at the link below shows how it is accessed.

CLICK HERE

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Kelly for the quick follow up response.... I've got it on order and will check back in here to rate as soon as that hopefully fixes my dishwasher for real this time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I installed the new flow meter today and it ran through an entire cycle and completed. The dishwasher sat with a clean load of items for about 4-6 hours, and I just walked by it and it's flashing 'Heavy' and 'Smart Auto' again. I know the cycle completed and it sat without error flashing for quite awhile before it started doing this out of the blue. Any other thoughts? I've now replaced the flow meter, case sensor, and main control board. thanks much
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

I would look closely at the wiring connections between the meter and the control. Look especially at areas where the wires bend or are help by retainers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I reviewed every wire I could find, went back through every drain hose, and pulled screen/filter out and thoroughly cleaned all again. I just ran two cycles and they run without flashing the error now, but each time the cycle completes there is a bunch of water left in the bottom of the dishwasher. Estimate 2-3 inches above the filter...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

So it is not pumping out right then. Did you check for blockages in the drain system and if the pump is running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure all the different spots I could/should check for blockage (other than obvious), the pump appears to work to some degree as I can use the cancel option to manually drain the tub...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

How is the drain attached to your home's plumbing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Using standard drain hose connected to garbage disposal inlet. I guess I haven't popped off the disposal side of the drain hose yet to check it out.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Is there a high loop that will prevent water from back-flowing into the drain hose from the disposal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No there has been no attempt to create a high loop with the drain hose when originally installed. Probably due to very little slack.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

So that is a problem, even though it has worked before, that needs to be corrected.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

See picture below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For sure, will fix that up. Could that be contributing enough to cause incomplete draining?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Oh, sure, especially if there is "gunk" draining down the hose from the disposal. Besides, when it goes to pump out, once the pump stops pumping, the drain water will run back down the hose.