Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Washer, Type 111-05, Model WTW57ESVW1.

Customer Question
Hello I have a Whirlpool Washer...
Hello
I have a Whirlpool Washer, Type 111-05, Model WTW57ESVW1. The washer fills then stops and will not agitate. It will also not drain the tub, even if I put it into the spin cycle. So literally, it's sitting there with a tub full of water that won't drain. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in and tried to start the same cycle over again. It fills for a few seconds more again, stops and does not agitate or drain. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
11/9/2016
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Does it spin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does not spin or agitate. No motor sounds either, it's completely silent.

Have you cleaned the filter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's a filter on this washing machine???

Yes! Do you see the small access door at the bottom in the front of the machine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I'm not there right now but I never paid much attention to it. I will have to look when I am home from work this afternoon.

Actually this model does not have a filter.

Do you have a mulitmeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what i thought. I never saw a door on it.

Okay I want you to test the door switch for continuity. If no continuity then the door switch is at fault and needs to be replaced.

If the door switch tests good then either the motor coupling or motor is faulty. Could possibly be the transmission but not likely.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the lid is closed, the switch should be closed and have continuity? Correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the motor coupling have something to do with the electrical circuit? Wouldn't the motor at least try to run but not spin or agitate the tub?

Yes when the lid is closed.

Does the motor try to run? No the coupling has nothing to do with the electrical circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. The motor doesn't even try to run

Then that is most likely your problem. I would still test the lid switch tho.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is the switch, is there a way I can jumper it temporarily to at least drain the tub until I replace the switch?So you believe its the coupling? So the motor won't even try to run with a bad coupling?

I dont recommend jumping the switch as it is not safe. Test it with the multimeter. The motor should try to run with a bad coupling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. It's probably the switch cause the motor won't run at all. I will try this evening.

Alright. Good Luck. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will DEFINITELY and THANK YOU for your help so far Jamie.

Not a problem.

Please dont forget to use the star rating link to rate me a 5 before you leave, Thanks!

AppTech8579
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician