Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I get an ERROR 1 message on my whirlpool watersoftener. How

Customer Question

I get an ERROR 1 message on my whirlpool watersoftener. How do I troubleshoot what needs to be replaced?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WHEs40 (18 months old)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No water leaking into the salt bin, but otherwise it will not operate.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is a valve motor failure

If the valve motor doesn’t run, unplug the water softener and check the valve motor wire harness for damage or a loose connection. Reconnect the valve motor wire harness if disconnected. Replace the valve motor wire harness if damaged. If the motor runs but the rotor valve doesn’t move, the problem could be a defective motor or a locked-up rotor valve. Replace the valve motor if defective. Replace the rotor valve if it’s locked up. If the motor run and spins the rotor valve constantly, the position switch may be defective. Replace the position switch if it doesn’t detect the rotor valve position.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.