Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a practically new DCS range / oven where the oven

Customer Question
does not work JA: What's the...
I have a practically new DCS range / oven where the oven does not work
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 1 yr old RGU-486 DCS is the brand
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: oven light works , convection fan works. both broiler and oven do not ignite
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked the igniter and it is not cracked.
the 12" oven (2 ovens 1 36" and 1 12") works completely.
in order for the oven to be turned on there are two knobs. one has the type of cooking (bake, convection, broil). the second is the temp. when the type of cooking is chosen the knob has a red glow ring around it. when you turn the temp past "Warm", it is supposed to light up the knob with an orange ring. The Red glow happens, the orange does not. on the 12" both light up and work along with the oven.
question is whether there is a resettable switch that I tripped by accident. We do not have a self cleaning oven. See the attached file for the schematic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a parts manual for this model
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/8/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Check and see if the ignitor has 120 volts to it, if not you can check the thermal limits on the back of the oven there may be a push button on the large one. Both should have continuity page 21 at your link parts number 9 and 10.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Appliance Technician: ifixitusa, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
ifixitusa
ifixitusa, Home Appliance Technician

Sorry to step in, you have a 2 year warranty on this product--call DCS for an authorized servicer in your area!

Could be a bad thermostat--I have seen that issue

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the oven is under warranty but it takes a tech over a week to get out there to look at it and another week for a part to be delivered and I need this fixed by Thanksgiving!! No oven for a turkey = upset people!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
another problem is that I'm not with this range at the moment and cant test anything until Thursday. What other possible issues might it be?

It's a biiiig oven to try and fix yourself

NOT easy

My advice is wait for a qualified tech, these are not do it your self units

Thermostat--possible I have seen that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i think the oven has been used <10 times. do you think a thermal switch went bad in such a short period of time? same goes with the thermostat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thought it might be the igniter but then the broiler should work right?

Based on your description, I think you may have a faulty thermostat...possibly...there is a circuit board in it that I have seen fail

245467 is the thermostat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you know of a 'reset' switch or something like that on these DCS Ranges? I ran across this article that eluded to one:http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/425b09ffe90942908ebafc6ec0398dde

No, There is no magic reset that I am aware of...if only

I am sorry I fixit tech has no business stepping into this. The operating thermostat is not the issue. Check the thermal limits and the power to the ignitor first. If you need anything get back to me Appliance Guru

Check the limits I advised you on and check power to the ignitor. Does the broiler work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I will check those things on Thursday and get back to you. Can you think of a reason why it may have gone out so soon? can I 'swap' the parts 9 and/or 10 with the 12" oven? at least then I can cook a turkey for Thanksgiving!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the broiler does not work either but the convection fan and interior light works. the glow ring around the tempurature knob doesnt turn on like it does for the 12" oven either

See these limits I bet one is tripped.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Can I swap out with the other oven?

Yes you could or just jumper it out by connecting the 2 wires to it together temporarily until you get another one.

If a limit was tripped the red light on the thermostat would not come on

SO neither work but both red lights light up on each oven?

Yup, that's what they said, red no orange--themostat possible

Thermals have to be ok for red light to show

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just to clarify, the limits (the two red arrows on the schematic) i should be checking are both located relatively in the same place on the back of the range? parts 9 and 10 on page 21. which part aligns with what arrow on the schematic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello. can you confirm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i need to order the parts ASAP

Hi

If you look at the diagram, if a thermal was bad, the red light on the thermostat would not come on, right?

That's why I think it could be the thermostat...

ifixitusa
ifixitusa
ifixitusa, Home Appliance Technician